Friday, January 14, 2011

ahhhh memories!

Day 3: Favourite Spectator Moment

I have several favourite spectator moment one being Canadian Stars on Ice 2006.  Jeanna and I had waited for this moment for almost 3 years... our first skating show together.  We had anticipated this show since the cast list had come out.  This wasn't only our first show but we were getting to see Shen and Zhao.  We were able to get on ice seats which was amazing.  Little did we know what was ahead.   The show was amazing but what stuck out the most was by Shen and Zhao.  Seeing their huge triple twist up close, the quality of their skating and how well they fit in with the rest of the cast were highlights for the both of us.

At the end of the show, Hongbo came and shook our hands and as we were telling how much we appreciate their skating and how wonderful they were, his face lit up and he thanked us.  We both left the show excited and talked about nothing else for the next few days.

The second memory I will cherish for the rest of my life was watching Josée Chouinard for the first time.  I couldn't have been more than 12 years old when our skating club invited Josée to skate at our annual carnival.  I remember my costume was a red turtleneck, a black skating skirt with white tights (very fashionable at the time).  I also remember the older skaters being excited about a National known skater skating two solos and the finale.  After our first number, we were able to sit and watch as we always did with a cup of hot chocolate and a cookie ( a reward for a job well done).  That's when I first caught a glimpse of Josée.  She was a beautiful skater gliding with such ease and performing like no other skater I had ever seen.  I sat there in awe for what seemed like hours.  Finale we were called up to skate the finale, I was going to skate with this amazing skater.  I was so excited that I forgot what I was told to do and just skated around trying to imitate Josée!  I don't have pictures but my parents wanting to catch every second of mine and Amy's lives videotaped everything.  I still watch it from time to time reminiscing of when I skated with an Olympian!

Many years later I was able to meet with her again and I asked her if she remembered skating in Elliot Lake years ago.  She smiled and told me that she remembered it well which really made my day.

A special mention goes to the 2006 Canadian Nationals where I met Laurie my current BFF.  Had it not been for that who knows if we would have ever met!

2 comments:

  1. HONGBO! That was such an amazing moment. I will never forget that. It wasn't our first show together though. We'd seen CSOI the year before, remember because we saw it twice. Once in Ottawa and then in Montreal. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try and forget 2005 for many reasons we've discussed before! Still the best memory even if it wasn't our first skating show together!

    ReplyDelete